Tuesday, May 27, 2014

WELCOME TO HAITI

Day 1 

I don't have much internet time. And I only have my phone. Sorry in advance about the terrible grammar. 
Made it to Haiti. 
Took a while to get through customs. 
Everyone tried to "help us with our luggage". They really just wanted money. 
Found Ashley, the only white person waiting for us. 
Two Haitians were with her and they took us to their car. 
We drove to our house, Indiana jones style. No lanes. Pot holes. Swerving. Lots of honking. This place is so poor. Soo sooo poor. People were lining the streets walking around everywhere. In the middle of the day. Who knows that they do. The building are all so colorful. It is poor but so colorful. Bright oranges, reds, greens and yellows. 
It took us about an hour and a half to drive 20 miles. 
We got to the house and everything was larger and cleaner than I thought.  It was behind a locked gate (I'm sure dad will be happy to hear that). We have guards on about 12 hours a day (members of the church). 3 story house. Similar to Hawaii style. Very open. 
Top two floors are our rooms (which consist of an open room and a pad on the floor) and bathrooms.  
We had a couple hours of free time. So we got set up. Made my bed, unpacked... 
I talked with Ashley about the organization and how it all started. It's pretty incredible - I'll have to go into that more later.  (Laundry, meals, water...) 
Eventually all the volunteers got back from teaching somewhere. They ran in and told us to get ready to go. We went downstairs hopped on a "moto" (a ghetto motorcycle we somehow squeezed 3 people on). We rode for probably about 20 min (Indiana jones style yet again). We rode on dirt roads, through dirty streams, passed huts and through what looked like little villages. We pulled up to a school to teach about the Reproductive organs. I felt pathetic. I didn't do any of the teaching I was just listening today - but I don't speak any French or creole. I wasn't able to communicate at all. I had a hard time even getting names. I'm going to try really hard to learn basic conversational phrases. 
Anyways When I say we pulled up to a school I mean we pulled up to a brick building that had a couple doors, a couple windows and each room had a few benches in it with a chalk board at the front of the room. 
There were a lot more people waiting for us than I had expected - probably around 25. Granted I had no idea what to expect. But they came to learn with no one forcing them. What teenagers would come to a class to learn on their own in the states. Not many that I know unless they were getting something out of it. But I'm sure many of the people here don't have the opportunity to attend school. In the class It was mainly young men who seemed to be between the ages of 11-17 and a few girls. 
I listened as the other volunteers taught about sperm, eggs, tubes, testicles, hormones and willingly answered any questions the students had. The volunteers started out as basic as you can get. They drew on the chalkboard the women's reproductive system. And said, "each woman has a cell, an egg..." We had a translator with us who translated everything. The students became very interested once they started to understand. They had so many questions. About everything. Twins, wet dreams, what causes an erection, masterbation, when pregnancy occurs. One questions was what makes you want to have sex... So we talked about hormones.  At first I was like woahhhhh the little kids. But then I thought it was better for them to get correct information than to never be educated in the topic.  
The class lasted about an hour and a half and then we rode back. We have a lady at the house who cooks for us so we all sat on the floor and ate together. Black beans, which I couldn't actually find any beans just a soupyness, white rice, chicken legs, and some potatoes in some sauce. It all tasted incredible! I'm not even joking, it was delicious. While eating the volunteers all shared stories about their day. 
Matt had to treat a 2nd degree burn today. Someone who had been given a first aid kit had tried to take care of it themselves. But had made it worse by pouring baby powder on and locking in the infection. We talked about how people want to be given all the materials (like it's some sort of magic fix) but don't actually have any real understanding. He ended up having to cut off a large portion if their skin which could have been avoided had they taken care of it correctly. (Prevention vs treatment)  
After we had FHE together and talked about gratitude. I am incredibly grateful to be here. 
Once that was finished I said up my mosquito net/canopy. Let me tell you. That was a process. It took so freaking long. I was climbing in the window sill and sweating like crazy trying to get it to stay up. Michael one of the other volunteers helped me and we finally, after a ton of duct tape, thought we had it. 
We then all got internet for a little, played card games and talked for a while. I tried to learn a little creole from Matt. 
A few of us went up on the roof and looked at the stars. 
I am now laying in my bed. Sweating like a pig because my damn mosquito net fell down and it's just laying on me. At this point I'd rather just take the thing off and sleep in the open... But being a public health major my pride keeps me from doing that. I've argued too many times that if people would just sleep with a mosquito net they could solve so many problems. In classes we've talked about whether it was better to give them to communities or have people earn them for themselves... What would have a more lasting effect? Welp. Now I understand. They just suck. If I didn't understand the risks no one could talk me into using this dumb thing that's basically suffocating me as I type. I always used to think it would be so simple to hang. Welp not with cement walls and nothing else. Anyways. First days was a great success. I already wish I could stay longer. Four weeks is gonna fly by. 

2 Things: 
We drink water from bags. 
Mosquito nets SUCK (as the last part attached to the wall fell on my head)

"Kijan ou rele" - means "what you called" essentially ---> what is your name

3 comments:

  1. you're funny. be safeeee. and have funnnnn. lluhhhh you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for swearing. And the very detailed sex talk you guys had. I feel very educated now. ;) Glad you are having fun! Sorry about your net!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be tough to figure out about the netting...can you build something - a shelter - out of sticks? haha This is going to be an amazing experience. Glad you're soaking everything in!

    ReplyDelete